Friday 2 August 2013

WHITE BEAN SPREAD / CREMA PARA UNTAR DE FRIJOLES BLANCOS





I have so many recipes to share with you guys only because I've been cooking like crazy.

See, my Grandfather passed away last week and you know how experts say that everyone grieves differently? Well, apparently this time around, I need to cook and clean. I have to move, do something non stop, keep myself distracted, my mind racing, I cannot stop, I don't want to stop because stopping means thinking, thinking means remembering, and remembering means realizing that I lost one of the people I love most in my life, that I will never get to see him, hear his voice, his jokes, see his perfect smile, hear his stories, poems,  and that means crying hysterically.
Maybe avoiding the crying it's not a good idea, but I will worry about that later because right now I am cooking, baking and organizing, which brings me back to what I said that I have lots of recipes to share with you.

I hope you have recuperated from the shock I've caused by telling you about Kidney Beans Poisoning in my last post because I made the most delicious White Kidney Beans Spread and I have to share it with you, it is so good, perfect for afternoon snack, for a party, or something to prepare quickly when you have impromptu house visitors. Trust me , they will be impressed and it is super healthy.


WHITE BEAN SPREAD:

What you need:

1/4 cup olive oil
2 garlic cloves, minced
1 1/2 cups canned white kidney beans, drained and rinsed
1 tbsp (15ml) fresh lemon juice
1 tbsp (15ml) water
1 tsp (5ml) fresh thyme, chopped.
1/2 tsp (2ml) kosher salt
1/4 tsp (1 ml) freshly ground black pepper
1/8 tsp(0.5ml) cayenne pepper
1 tsp tahini (optional)

What to do with it:

In a small skillet, heat the olive oil over medium. Add the garlic and turn off heat immediately. Let garlic sit in oil for 30 seconds and then strain out garlic pieces, reserving the flavoured oil, set aside and let cool slightly, don't discard the garlic. (you want the garlic to stay soft and golden looking, not brown or toasted because if so, it will give the oil a bitter taste).

In a food processor, combine the beans, reserved garlic oil, lemon juice, water, thyme, salt, black and cayenne pepper. Process until smooth, about 20 seconds. Add the tahini and about 1 tsp of the garlic pieces and process a few seconds more. Serve with  pita bread, crackers, fresh bread, naan, fresh cut veggies, etc, the sky is the limit.

Note: You don't need to add tahini to the spread, I did it because I like tahini's nutty flavour but if you don't have any, don't worry about it, it will taste amazing without it as well. Also, I added a bit of garlic pieces because I am a garlic nut, I LOVE GARLIC and can't have enough of it, EVER,  but again, its up to you and your personal taste and don't you dare trowing away that left over cooked garlic. You can use it in salads, spread it on sandwiches, cook with it, remember the flavour it is not too strong because it has been cook, so use your imagination.

Buen Provecho.






---------------------------------------------------------

Tengo tantas recetas que compartir con ustedes porque he estado cocinando como una loca.

Lo que pasa es que mi abuelo falleció la semana pasada y tu sabes como los expertos dicen que cada quien supera la muerte de un ser amado de manera diferente? pues, aparentemente esta vez me ha dado por cocinar, limpiar y organizar.
Tengo que moverme, hacer algo sin parar, mantenerme distraída, mi mente ocupada, no quiero parar, no puedo parar, porque parar significa pensar, pensar significa recordar y recordar significa realizar que una de las personas que mas amo en mi vida se fue, no veré mas, no escuchare su voz, sus chistes, sus bromas, su bendición, sus historias, sus poemas, ver su hermosa sonrisa, lo que significa llorar histéricamente. Quizás el evitar llorar no es recomendado pero me preocupare de eso luego, por ahora cocino, organizo y limpio. Por eso es que tengo tantas recetas que compartir.

Espero que ya se hayan recuperado del shock de mi ultimo post acerca del envenenamiento causado por el consumo de frijoles rojos y blancos mal cocinados porque les cuento que prepare una crema para untar con frijoles blancos que esta buenísima, perfecta para fiestas o para cuando tienes visitas en la casa inesperadas y no sabes que ofrecer, se prepara demasiado rápido y es súper saludable también.

CREMA PARA UNTAR DE FRIJOLES (CARAOTAS) BLANCAS:

Lo que necesitas:

1/4 taza de aceite de oliva

2 dientes de ajo machacados
1 1/2 tazas de frijoles blancos enlatados, colados y enjuagados
1 cucharada (15ml) de jugo de limon fresco
1 cucharada (15ml) de agua
1 cucharadita (5ml)  de tomillo fresco, picado
1/2 cucharadita (2ml) sal gruesa
1/4 cucharadita (1 ml) de pimienta negra recién triturada
1/8 cucharadita (0.5ml) pimienta de cayena
1 cucharadita de Tahina (pasta de semillas de sesamo)  (opcional)

Que hacer con esto:

En una olla pequeña, calentar el aceite de oliva a temperatura media. Agregar los 2 dientes de ajos y apagar el fuego inmediatamente. Dejar que el ajo se quede en el aceite por 30 segundos, luego colar y poner el aceite aparte para que se enfríe un poco (lo que quieres es que el ajo se ponga cremoso y beige o dorado clarito, no que se ponga marron o que se tueste ya que eso haría que el aceite agarre un gusto amargo), guardar el ajo, no lo botes.

En un procesador de comida combinar los frijoles, aceite de oliva reservado, jugo de limon, agua, tomillo fresco, sal, pimienta negra y de Cayena, procesar por 20 segundos hasta que quede cremoso, luego si quieres agrégale la tahina, el ajo y listo. Servir con pan tostado, pita, naan, galletas de soda, vegetales crudos, etc, las opciones son infinitas.

Nota: La Tahina es opcional, yo se la agregué porque me gusta el gusto que le da pero si no tienes, no te preocupes, igual va a quedar deliciosa sin la misma, al igual que el poquito de ajo, yo le agrego ajo a todo, ADORO El AJO y no me canso de cocinar con el, pero como dije, es opcional y depende de cada quien, y no se te ocurra botar el resto de ese ajito que te quedo cocinado, agrégaselo a una mayonesa, ensalada, un sandwich, pasta, o lo que sea, esta cocinado así que no es tan fuerte pero esta lleno de sabor.

Buen Provecho.














No comments:

Post a Comment